Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Dynamic Duo

I got the unique opportunity to duo with my brother's character, Yuliter, the other day. He's a Tarutaru, by the way. I forgot how enjoyable it was just kicking back and enjoying the quality time. We took to Mount Zhayolm to burn down some puddings.

He was afk talking to someone on the phone at the start, so I slowly soloed a couple puddings with my not-entirely-operational nuking set. I almost had a run in with the dirt, but a timely Sleep II from me and a Stun from my brother as I ran my galka butt away saved me from losing twice the xp I had just soloed.

Once we actually got rolling, it was fairly leisurely. My job was to locate and lure in an unsuspecting mob, and his job was to zap, melt, or otherwise fry said poor mob. I didn't feel bad for it.

We picked up a pair of duoing BLMs to our pt (one of whom was /anon and quite obviously not yet level 70, casting Ancient magic and Tier IIIs, etc.) and knocked it up a notch. Over all it was an enjoyable time. One of our pickup BLMs had a difficult time staying alive. I don't think he caught on to the whole "run away if it tries to hit you" strategy my brother strategically employs until much later in the evening.

I managed to bring my Red Mage xp from about 33k to within 400 points of the cap, so I consider it a good night.

My gear has a lot to be desired, but I consider myself a resourceful and competent Red Mage. Hopefully there are others who agree. The disparity between my ideal nuking set and my current nuking set, however, is cavernous.

I wear the following:

Aquilo's Staff / Bugard Strap +1 / ----- / Phantom Tathlum
Wlk. Chapeau +1 / Philomath Stole / Phantom Earring / Gayanj's Earring
Errant Houppelande / Dune Bracers / Omega Ring / Zircon Ring
Rainbow Cape / Desert Rope / Duelist's Tights / Duelist's Boots

HQ Staff 15% Damage Bonus
+44 INT
+30 Elemental Skill
+3 Magic Accuracy
+4 Magic Attack Bonus

I want to wear the following someday:

Aquilo's Staff / Bugard Strap +1 / ----- / Phantom Tathlum
Wlk. Chapeau +1 / Elemental Torque / Novio Earring / Moldavite Earring
Morrigan's Robe / Zenith Mitts / Omega Ring / Snow Ring
Merciful Cape / Witch Sash / Duelist's Tights +1 / Goliard Clogs

HQ Staff 15% Damage Bonus
+38 INT
+44 Elemental Skill
+7 Magic Accuracy
+22 Magic Attack Bonus
+2% Magical Crit. Rate (lol)

I'm no BLM, however, but I know enough to know that this set isn't necessarily the ideal in some situations. With RDM's base 230 Elemental Magic skill and the 16 skill from merits I intend to have on top of that, I may be able to get away with foregoing the Duelist's Tights (+1) in exchange for a pair of Mahatma, or better yet, Morrigan's Slops. I hope to sometime finish SCH to 37 so I can use it as an offensive and defensive subjob as well. Gogo Light/Dark Arts!

Additionally, I have the means to get any Elemental Obi I want. I already have Anrin (RDM/BLM fun times in Dynamis) and Hyorin Obis, and I am debating on getting a few more.

I think I will head off to research this further in depth. I'd like to read up on what other RDMs have discussed in the past. Knowledge is power.

Altana be with you.

Guntar.

2 comments: